Wednesday, May 19, 2010

And there I was, licking rocks.

Today Wes, my partner and squaresup actually got down and dirty in the cistern-- we finally got to start working in our square!

We got down 1 and a half levels and sifted 16(ish) guffas (arabic for basket) of dirt and bones and pottery and such.
I found a tibia of a cow- later on, he found the other half! We make such a good team.
I also found an ostracon- a piece of pottery with writing/inscription on it.
Dr Walker sang he words when I showed it to her- it's part of a lamp from the early Islamic period.
She was excited.

It's pretty dang cold today, believe it or not- it's fairly windy here, and the temperature is about 70 degrees Fahrenheit. So.. the wind makes the place seem colder.
Luckily Wes and I hang out underground and don't have to worry about the wind... just spiders and ants and whatever other critters we happen to encounter.

Wes and I hypothesized about the cistern today- When did the cistern stop being a cistern, and become a dump? Why does the cistern have two holes in the ceiling- one leading to the open world, and the other leading no where? (The second hole is closed off. We can't find the opening on the surface.)


(And since i fell asleep writing this, and it's now 24 hours later..... moving on!)

No comments:

Post a Comment